Within the V-MOVE program, the Foundation of the Hellenic World in Greece is offering a position for an intern in the field of Virtual Museum of the Historical Monument of Agia Sophia. Interested researchers and professionals may apply through the Call4Mobility.
Name of the hosting institution:
3D Graphics and Virtual Reality Department, Foundation of the Hellenic World
Brief description of the unit hosting the internship:
FHW is a privately-funded, not-for-profit cultural institution based in Athens. Its foundation was ratified in 1993 by unanimous vote of the Hellenic Parliament. FHW's mission is the preservation of Hellenic history and tradition, the creation of an awareness of the universal dimension of Hellenism and the promotion of its contribution to cultural evolution. Its aim is the understanding of the past as a point of reference for the formation of the present and future so that the Hellenic spirit may once again inspire contemporary thought. The principal objective is the dissemination of Hellenic culture and history in any way possible and through this the aim of the Foundation will be achieved. The 3D Graphics and Virtual Reality Department at FHW is using state-of-the-art technology as means to disseminate the scientific and educational content.
Max number of internships/year: 1
Areas of host institution’s expertise for internship proposals:
- Creation of virtual worlds, and the virtual representation of monuments and sites of the past.
- Modelling techniques and methods of representing the built environment.
- Integrating and validating information and documentation within a scientific process.
- Adaptation of visual content to real-time applications, for the general public and scientific communities.
- Designing scenarios for navigating Virtual Worlds. Organization of multidisciplinary work and processes.
Visualization of the Historical Monument of Agia Sophia. A large scale project for the visual representation for Virtual Reality Dome shaped theatre, THOLOS, of the Agia Sophia monument as it where during the 11th-12th century. AS number of scenarios will allow visitors to collect historical and archaeological information through their virtual visits to the reconstructed monument and objects.
Benefit to host:
Areas in which the host wishes to develop expertise through collaboration with an intern (optional) Visualization process of architectural/ archaeological information: technologies, methods and validation process used.
- Knowledge of the History of Architecture
- Experience / Knowledge in Monuments Reconstruction
- Experience / Knowledge in Monuments Representation
- Experience with at least one 3D Modelling Tool
- Experience in Photoshop
- Foreign Languages: Fluent in English
- Experience in Illustrator
- Foreign languages: German
May 2012 – December 2013
Facilities and Supervision:
Interns will work in our Virtual reality Department and will have their own desk with a modern PC/Mac, according to their preference. They will also have access to bibliography related to Agia Sophia and its architecture and relevant documentation and data. The main supervisor will be our experienced architect with great expertise in the reconstruction and representation of Ancient Monuments.